Saturday, September 30, 2006

... On the bridge between people



Unless we can hear each other singing and crying, unless we can comfort each other's failures and cheer each other's victories, we are missing out on the best that life has to offer. The only real action takes place on the bridge between people.




Abe was fiercely independent, even at the age of 85, but after a mild stroke his son insisted he move in with him. Abe missed going to the park near his old apartment, and one Saturday he set out to find it.

When he became disoriented, he asked a young boy where the park was. The boy, named Timmy, said he’d like to take Abe there, but he didn’t have time because he was looking for God. He needed to talk to him about why his parents were getting a divorce.

"Maybe God is in the park," said the old man. "I’d like to talk to him, too, about why he’s made me useless." They set off together to find God.


At the park, Timmy began to cry about the divorce, and Abe lovingly held the boy’s face in his hands and looked him straight in the eyes.

"Timmy, I don’t know why bad things happen, but I know it’s not because of you. I know you’re a good boy and your parents love you and you’ll be okay."
"Are you sure?"
"I’m sure."


Timmy gave Abe a big hug and said, "I’m so glad I met you. Thanks. I think I can go now."
From across the street, Timmy’s mother saw them hug and when the boy came up, she asked in a worried voice, "Who was that old man?"
"I think he’s God."


"Did he say that?" she demanded.
"
No, but when he told me I’m going to be okay, I felt better. Only God can do that."

When Abe got home, his son in a scolding voice asked, "Where were you?"
"I was in the park with God."

"What makes you think you were with God?"

"Because he sent me a boy who needed me, and when the boy hugged me,
I felt God telling me I wasn’t useless."

11 comments:

Hip Grandma said...

No one in the world is worthless.We should learn to ignore those who make us think so.

Neer said...

this is really good! totally love the message!

Sreejith Panickar said...

This is fantastic PB. Your posts convey a lot of messages. It is so nice to be here. The collections that you present are morally so high....

seriously_frivolous said...

Simply beautiful! loved it! Wanna say some thing but really have no words..

Neer said...

thank you, Mam!

passerby55 said...

Hi preeta

You are right, ignore such.

**********************************
Hi neers,

thankyou, that was encouraging

**********************************
hi mahadevan,
you summed it up well.

**********************************
Hi sreejith,

Its great to read your comment here. you are very kind.

**********************************
Hi seriously_frivolous

thankyou, indeed
**********************************
Hey ram,

i guess we all know these stories.
i only present them in a new package here. i hope u like it.
**********************************
Hi neers.
you are welcome again,

Anonymous said...

ur weird tag post was funny!!!
but this is touching...

i heard it in a different format too..

Usha said...

very very sweet.
Like the story of the cobbler by tolstoy, God keeps cioming into our lives in so many ways - only we miss seeing him/her/it.

passerby55 said...

thankyou tarini

********************************

You are right usha, we never know when HE visits/ helps us, it is much later do we realise that it was HIs blessing

thankyou

hillgrandmom said...

Unconditional Love--God given!
Beautiful story.

Amrita said...

really good. was feeling downcast and gloomy but this post made me feel better. thanx